SWEATERS AND HOW TO WEAR ‘EM
Whether you live in our home base of southwest Florida or the more temperate environs up north, there’s always a need for a sweater or two… or 10. As the situation warrants each season, some updating to the collection is in order, but a few of the favorites always seem to stand out for optimum True Fashionista snuggly warmth and fashion. They’re like an old friend you’re happy to see after so long. Think about it, a sweater goes with just about everything. Whether you pair it with jeans and a jacket or wear it with a party dress, a sweater adds warmth to any outfit and serves as an added layer that will amp up your style. Pairing your sweater just right can make or break the outfit. We’ve taken some of the guesswork out of your winter closet, so you can use your time for important things like shopping and gift-wrapping, we mean, quality time with friends and family.
The wise peeps at Babble share some key cardigan-wearing tips for that most popular open-fronted sweater. They may come in all shapes and sizes, colors and prints, but the right cardigan for your body type and outfit makes all the difference. Here are four different cardigans and how to wear them:
- Waist-length/Cropped Cardigan – Don’t even THINK about wearing these with long tops. The contrast creates a weird shape and proportion on your body. Wear them instead with fit and flare style dresses or high-waisted skirts. The hem of the cardigan should not go more than a few inches past the waist band of your dress or skirt, so keep that in mind when pairing them.
- The Oversized Cardigan – Given all that bulk, don’t wear them with loose-fitting bottoms. They could make you look wide, and who wants that? Pair them instead with skinny jeans or leggings.
- Wrap Cardigan – They feature a longer drape-y length, so don’t wear it with a skirt that’s anywhere from knee length and up. Wear it with dark jeans or pants to elongate and flatter your figure.
- Boyfriend Cardigan – Don’t wear them with full skirts or dresses. Instead, pair them with jeans, knee length pencil skirts or shorts.
- Short Sleeve Cardigan – Yes, there is such a thing, quite possibly invented for our Florida climate! Show off your arms with a short-sleeve version of the cardigan, says Trendspotter, and watch as the compliments fly in. Keep it flirty by pairing a summery dress or an A-line skirt, and you’ll be set for a picnic or a date at the movies.
When it comes to the classics, its easy to bail with jeans. Black, blue, skinny, flares…they all work with a basic sweater. Among the many, here are a few fresh ideas courtesy of Popsugar:
- Try to casually tuck your sweater into a leather or denim skirt. Until we’re in the throes of winter, layer it over a knit dress or put it underneath a summer dress.
- Rock your knee-length boots with a sweater dress.
- Pair your classic over classy gold or silver pants.
- Go monochromatic with an identical-colored skirt or pants.
- Experiment with layering wearing your sweater over a midi skirt.
- Style an off-the-shoulder sweater with track pants.
- Go 70’s retro paired with striped pants.
- Throw your Alexander Wang V-necked sweater over a cute denim mini.
How NOT to Wear Sweaters
Thought we’d do you a True Fashionista favor here. With so many varied ways to wear sweaters, here are a few fashion faux pas to avoid with your treasures this fall and winter.
- First and foremost, unless you’re attending an ugly sweater party, stay away from holiday sweaters! ‘nuff said.
- Pitch any sweater that’s created a pile of “pills”, or those annoying tiny balls of fabric that accumulate on older sweater fabric.
- Watch for trendy colors that won’t fly when it gets cold next year.
Stop by or go online to True Fashionistas Resale, and stock up on all your sweater needs so you’re ready for when the temps dip and pumpkin spice sounds really good right about now.